If you have a dog that spends most of its time outside and a good portion of that time chained, make a pledge to train your dog to be an inside companion. Doing so will improve your dog's quality of life and give you the friend that dogs strive to become.
Dogs are naturally social animals. They thrive when given the chance to interact with people and other animals. In the wild, dogs and wolves live, eat, sleep, and hunt with a family of other canines. Dogs are genetically predisposed to live in a group.
• A dog kept chained alone suffers immense psychological damage.
• Continuous chaining leads to neurotic, anxious, and often aggressive behaviors.
• The neck of a chained dog often becomes raw or suffers from an embedded collar, the result of constant yanking and straining to escape confinement.
• Chained dogs frequently become entangled in their chains and are unable to access food, water, and shelter.
• Give your dog opportunities to interact regularly with people and other animals.
• Provide daily walks in parks and neighborhoods for physical and mental exercise.
• Keep your dog well bushed and bathed. Seek advice from a professional groomer on nail and ear care.
• Learn how to properly crate train your dog while acclimating him to inside living.
• Enroll in one of our free Pet Parenting classes to receive advice and additional tips and tricks
Our Mission: Guided by the humane ethic and livability interests within our neighborhoods, the mission of Fort Wayne Animal Care & Control is to ensure public health and safety as well as prevent pet overpopulation, animal neglect, and animal cruelty through education, rescue, and law enforcement
3020 Hillegas Road
Fort Wayne IN 46808
After 8 p.m. and on weekends and holidays, call 449-3000 for assistance.
Closed Mondays FOR ADOPTIONS
To submit a pet adoption profile, you must do so 30-minutes before closing to allow sufficient time for processing.
Adoptions are Open: Tueday, Thursday, Friday 12:00 - 5:30 p.m.
Wednesday 12:00 - 7:00 p.m.
1st & 3rd Sat 11:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.
Adoption Office: 260-427-5502
Business Office Hours:
11:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. Mon-Fri
11:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. Wednesday
6:00 a.m. - 1:00 a.m. Mon-Sun
1:00 a.m. - 6:00 a.m. Emergencies