The Great American Cleanup is the nation’s largest community improvement program that Fort Wayne has participated in for over 20 years. It is a time when we can show our community pride by lending a hand to clean up littered roadsides, parks, trails and river ways. The event is held each year on the 3rd Saturday of May.
Getting involved is easy and groups as well as individuals are encouraged to participate. All you need to do is select an area in the community that you would like to beautify and sign up. Registration begins in March. The City will provide, T-shirts, gloves and garbage bags. Volunteers can arrange to clean on that day or another day that same week. For more information please call 427-1345.
Results from 2014 -Thank you volunteers!
5,250 volunteers contributed 15,750 hours to cleaning up our City in this one day event! This is what they accomplished!
• 183,180 pounds of litter & debris was collected
• 930 illegally dumped tires recycled
• 71 miles of roads, streets & highways were cleaned or beautified
• 1,414 acres of parks & public lands were cleaned
• 33 miles of hiking, biking & nature trails cleaned
• 17 miles of river banks cleaned