Many foods we eat and products we use in our homes can be dangerous for our four-legged family members. According to the national ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center the most common pet toxin reported in 2017 was human prescription medications. More than 35,000 cases of pets ingesting human prescription medications were reported to the APCC last year.

According to Northeast Indiana Veterinary Emergency Specialty Hospital (NIVES) in Fort Wayne – the national trend is also a local trend. Emergency and critical care veterinarian Dr. Jennifer Stresemann told Fort Wayne Animal Care & Control prescription medications are commonly treated at the hospital which is open 24/7.

Other common pet toxins reported to the APCC are over-the-counter medications, human foods, medications prescribed by a veterinarian, chocolate, household items, insecticides, rodenticides, plants and garden supplies.

About 10 percent of calls to the APCC are about human foods that are not safe for pets. Here is a list of foods you should never give your pets.

  • Chocolate
  • Uncooked Yeast Dough
  • Grapes, raisins
  • Onions
  • Garlic
  • Avocados
  • Macadamia Nuts
  • Xylitol (found in sugar-free gum, baked goods and some peanut butters)

You can help prevent your pet from coming into contact with a toxin by keeping all food, household products, house plants and other harmful items secured in an area of your help that your pet can not access them. If you carry medication in a book bag or purse be sure to lock your bag in a closet or drawer.

If you believe your pet has ingested a toxin it’s important to call your veterinarian immediately. You can also contact the Animal Poison Control Center hotline at 888-426-4435.