How Can You Help?
While you may not be a trained counselor, there are things you can do to help a friend or family member cope and find help. Whether the act of violence occurred recently or a long time ago, it is helpful if you can:
- Believe them
- Maintain a calm manner
- Listen without interrupting
- Allow for tears and expression of feelings
- Convey genuine concern
- Provide accurate information
- Allow them to make their own choices
- Set judgments aside
- Maintain confidentiality
- Let them know it’s not their fault
- Let them know there are people who can help and they that don’t have to go through this alone
- Be supportive
- Encourage them to reach out for help.