Click HERE to view animals currently being housed at the shelter.
Animals picked up stray throughout Allen County are delivered to the city shelter for reclaim by city and county residents. Animals brought to the shelter will be held for three business days before ownership is transfered to Fort Wayne Animal Care & Control if they are unclaimed.
WHAT TO DO IF YOUR ANIMAL IS MISSING
1. File a missing pet report online OR call 427-1244 during normal business hours
- Small Animals
- Be as detailed as possible when filling out a lost animal report, including if your pet is microchipped and is wearing identification tags.
2. File a report in person at Fort Wayne Animal Care & Control
- Come to the shelter located at 3020 Hillegas Road during normal business hours and we will help you complete a lost report. Be prepared to give a detailed description of your lost pet. Bring a photo of your pet with you to help us better assist you. Once you complete the lost report we will walk you through our kennels so you can look for your lost pet.
3. Visit the shelter in person to see if your lost pet is here.
- We recommend you visit the shelter to walk through the kennels at least every three business days.
4. View photos of animals that have been brought into the shelter
Please Note: Submitting a lost report does not guarantee that we will call you if your pet comes in. Unless the pet is microchipped or has a valid ID tag on its collar when found we may not know the animal is your pet.
LOST AND FOUND HOURS AND LOCATION
If you're animal was brought to Fort Wayne Animal Care & Control by an Animal Control Officer or a good samaritan you may relcaim it at the shelter located at 3020 Hillegas Road. Our business offices is open Monday-Friday 11 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. On Wednesday our office is open late until 7 p.m.
RETRIEVING A LOST ANIMAL
- You must physically come to the shelter to claim your animal
- A photo ID, such as a driver's license is required to redeem your pet
- Additional proof of ownership, such as the pet's picture, microchip verification, and/or vaccination records may be required
- There are fees to reclaim your pet. They are as listed below:
- ADDITIONAL FEES MAY APPLY
First redemption $15
Second redemption $50
Third redemption $75
Fourth and subsequent redemption $100
- ADDITIONAL FEES MAY APPLY
I'VE REPORTED MY LOST PET, NOW WHAT?
Don't rely on your lost pet report and our website to determine if your pet is at the shelter. We recommend you continue to visit the shelter to walk through the kennels to see if your pet is with us.
HOW LONG DO ANIMALS STAY AT THE SHELTER?
- A stray animal is held by Animal Care & Control for a minimum of three business days, the first day does not count if the animal arrives during business hours. Weekends and holidays are not considered in the count. For example, if your pet is picked up on a Wednesday after 11 a.m., it will be available for reclaim until 5:30PM on Monday. At that time, the city owns the animal and may then evaluate it for the adoption program or transfer the animal to a partner rescue agency/shelter. Animals that show signs of advanced illness or aggression or have needs beyond available resources are not eligible for these options.
- When animals are found and wearing identification, the owners are notified immediately and when possible, pets may be returned directly to their homes.
- We do not put time limits on animals in our adoption program. As long as they stay socially and medically healthy, they stay in the program until adopted.
Injured Stray/Lost Animals
- Animals that are found stray injured and without identification will be medically evaluated and may be euthanized to prevent further suffering prior to the end of the legal holding period according to the city ordinance.