Working in the Horticulture area of the Maintenance Section of the Parks & Recreation Department, incumbent is responsible for any or all maintenance tasks as assigned.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Assists with mowing and trimming,
• Assists with mulching and pruning,
• Assists with various greenhouse work,
• Assists with weeding, cultivating, and planting,
• Assists various horticulture crews,
• Performs various miscellaneous ground work and litter removal,
• Maintains work related reports and records,
• Utilizes various chemical agents such as but not limited to; cleaning products, and weed control,
• Operates and maintains equipment in a safe manner,
• Performs duties within the guidelines of work rules and safety policies of the City of Fort Wayne and Fort Wayne Parks and Recreation Department,
• Works with moderate supervision where instructions are relatively complete,
• Communicates effectively both orally and written,
• Works in an outdoor environment,
• Works in harmony with fellow workers and maintains good relations with park patrons,
• Ability to lift 75 pounds and carry the weight a minimum of 25 feet,
• Ability to understand oral and written instructions,
• Maintains a neat and personal appearance,
• Ability to drive one-ton trucks or small utility trucks,
• Valid Indiana Drivers' License as required.
Performs other duties as required.
Incumbent does not supervise any staff in this position.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
• Previous gardening/landscaping experience preferred.
• At least 18 years of age and completed three years of high school.
• Any combination of related work experiences.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operation and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before customers or employees of organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ration, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Incumbent is expected to carry out simple, repetitive, routine tasks. Practical knowledge of the use of small hand tools and power tools. Incumbent must be able to follow simple oral instructions and understand the general work required in the maintenance of all park areas as required.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Valid Indiana Drivers' License as required.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand and walk. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and taste or smell. The employee lifts 75 pounds and carries the weight 25 feet. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Effort is exerted regularly for sustained periods where strain may be intense for frequent or moderate duration. Physical effort involves heavy lifting in a non-sitting position with high manual dexterity required.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Incumbent is responsible for a variety of different operations to be able to complete assignments with accuracy required to protect tools, materials, and prevent injuries of others. The working conditions include moderate exposure to dust, grease, extreme temperature, pollen and grass clippings, hazardous materials or inclement weather with occasional exposure to hazardous work conditions.