Working under the direction of the Animal Care Supervisor, incumbent performs routine manual tasks relative to the care of all animals.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Performs duties related to the care of animals housed at the shelter including and to the sanitation of the building;
• Maintains paperwork for pre/post adoptions, spay-neuter, and other as needed;
• Handles animals in a humane manner as dictated by departmental regulations;
• Assists Animal Care Specialists with restraint of animals, and may be required to assist with all tasks;
• Assists other staff and volunteers in community outreach programming including foster care, off-site adoptions, and rescue programming;
• Assists customers regarding lost and found animals and admits animals to the building;
• Enters animals into the computers system as they arrive in the lobby or through the after hours receiving area;
• Performs duties as an adoption counselor to include, but not limited to: taking applications, counseling, and answering questions from the public, processing applications, making arrangements for animal processing as necessary;
• Contacts supervisor as questions on procedures arise;
• Performs assigned duties, which require bending, twisting, climbing and lifting 50 pounds on a regular basis;
• Handles animals in a humane manner in accordance with departmental regulations;
• Works under adverse conditions including extremes of temperature, humidity, and fumes;
• Loads and unloads supplies used by adoption center as necessary;
• Is required to maintain the full business functioning of the adoption office during the weekend event including responsibility of all money and receipts for that day, and in the absence of the adoption supervisor;
• Maintains pre-event communication with Adoption Supervisor and Volunteer Coordinator to ensure complete staffing/volunteer coverage for the event;
• Responsible for animal adoptions during weekend events including working with and assisting other staff members and volunteers, assisting the public with questions, mediating difficulties, and is responsible for adoption approvals;
• Reads and follows instructions;
• Ability to pass post-offer physical, drug screen, and functional screen for this position.
Performs any and all other duties as required.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
High School Diploma or equivalent: and experience working with animals at a zoo, veterinarian's office or related organization.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized operations.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Valid Driver’s License if City Vehicle is used
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Incumbent has frequent exposure to animal related hazards. High stress may occur due to attachments made in caring for shelter animals with the knowledge of the possible euthanasia of these animals. The position requires continual physical activity including lifting and carrying large animals.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; sit; and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is frequently required to walk; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, bend, climb, or crawl; and taste or smell. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.