Working under the direction of the Engineering Technician Manager, incumbent assists Engineering staff by collecting and reporting field information of the Utilities collection and distribution systems; prepares reports and document field information; utilizes AutoCAD, Civil 3D, and Utilities Engineering CADD standards, to prepare sewer, water, and storm water Utility plans; prepares basic maps with ESRI GIS software and assists with performing specific GIS duties. The incumbent is expected to exercise good judgment, independence, initiative, and professional expertise in conducting day-to-day operations. All work duties and activities must be performed in accordance with the City and Utility's safety rules and operating regulations, policies and procedures as well as federal, state, and local regulations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the ability to interact with the public, City incumbents, and outside agencies with patience, tact, respect, and professionalism and the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Assist with preparing and plotting basic documents, maps and files using GIS software such as ESRI products and GIS databases.
• Assist with maintaining and updating procedures, standards and templates as requested.
• Assist with training interns
• Assist others as required in inspection of existing and new commercial facilities for required backflow prevention and cross connections, fire suppression systems, detention basins, and other facilities.
• Assist with inspection of sanitary and storm water green card permits.
• Assist in initiating fire service account billing.
• Assist as required in pressure complaint investigations and fire flow tests.
• Assist in support of system investigative activities such as: water pressure and flow testing; sewer flow monitoring and Inflow & Infiltration; complaint investigations; leak detection; smoke testing, sewer televising and other field services.
• Assist as required with collecting maps/data for water main unilateral flushing program.
• Assist as required in verifying the location and observed condition of water, sewer, and storm infrastructure.
• Assist with the field checking of project drawings and verify that data on drawing is correct and shown accurately.
• Assist as required with NPDES inspection program for conformance to Rule 5 and Rule 13 requirements. Collect and document required field reports and organize information into database.
• Assist with basic surveying & GPS equipment to make field measurement, collect data, check elevations and run level circuits.
• Assist with finding and mapping unmapped Utility assets in the service area
• Assist with utilizing established procedures to collect, obtain, use and report data from documents such as forms, maps and plans from a variety of sources including engineering departments, field visits, electronic data submittals and permitting entities.
CADD & GIS Services
• Assist with electronic data collection and setup for project creation and production sheet creation as requested.
• Assist with preparing and plotting drawings for appurtenance files, standard and detailed drawings, templates, graphic work, Construction Drawings such as Plan, Profile, Cross Section, easements, plats, exhibits, legal boundaries, basic legal descriptions, survey data and engineering sketches.
• Assist with maintaining plan files for record drawings.
• Assist with creation, setup, update and plotting of basic drawings and maps.
• Assist with copying and distributing CAD templates.
• Assist with scanning and plotting equipment tasks such as reloading ink and paper and monitoring supplies.
• Assist with review of internal and external electronic deliverables as requested.
• Assist with analyzing and assessing GIS data (assets, features, attributes and etc) and performing QA/QC for accuracy and completeness
• Assist with utilizing established procedures, data and GIS software, such as ESRI ArcGIS, MS Office products and plotting software to create, modify and update GIS records, features, databases, maps and diagrams.
• Function effectively as a member of an interdisciplinary team
• Ability to operate a city vehicle with a small trailer
• Perform job duties as directed and necessary to fully utilize and maintain certifications, licenses, training, etc. that has been obtained per job description requirements and/or City Utilities’ Engineering skill based compensation policy
The incumbent is responsible to manage their performance in accordance with this job description and the performance expectations provided to them by management. If at any time the incumbent is unsure of their role or specific responsibilities, it is the incumbent’s responsibility to refer to their job description and ask for clarification from their supervisor. Management will work with the incumbent, as needed, to ensure performance expectations are clearly communicated and performance goals are achieved.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Associate's degree (A.A.S.) in Civil Engineering Technology or completion of an equivalent course of study from two-year college or technical school. Three (3) months practical experience with word processing and spreadsheet software. Six (6) months practical experience in civil drafting with CAD software, inspection, or survey work. Autodesk AutoCAD experience is preferred.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as maps, ordinances, rules, operating instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively to general public or co-workers, one-on-one or in small groups.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with conventional problems involving several different or unrelated variables. Ability to observe and identify detailed variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Support from supervisors will be available in unusual situations which do not have clear precedents.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Valid Indiana Driver's License.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be required to sit and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee will be required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, ability to adjust focus, and color vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving vehicles, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.