Working under the direction of Maintenance Supervisor or Maintenance Working Leader, the incumbent installs and maintains equipment of the Filtration Plant, Water Pollution Control Plant, and their related facilities. Employee will be assigned on-call rotation. The incumbent is expected to exercise good judgment, independence, initiative, and professional expertise in conducting day-to-day operations. All work duties and activities must be performed in accordance with the City and Utility's safety rules and operating regulations, policies and procedures as well as federal, state, and local regulations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the ability to interact with the public, City incumbents, and outside agencies with patience, tact, respect, and professionalism and the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Substitutes for or assists operators or other employees as needed;
• Maintains work-area, grounds and equipment in a clean organized fashion;
• Assists in training of other employees;
• Utilizes lockout/tag out procedure when working on systems and equipment;
• Updates mechanical knowledge, keeping abreast of relevant current developments;
• Utilizes CMMS to perform scheduled PMs and maintenance work, to record associated labor time
• and materials and to enter all necessary and applicable data;
• Communicates effectively both orally and in writing;
• Assumes duties of Maintenance Working Leader when needed per Maintenance Supervisor request
• Utilize 6S and TPM (Total Productive Maintenance);
• Performs safe practices to prevent chemical contamination of storm water run-off;
• Operates plant vehicles and mobile equipment, including fork lifts;
• Enters, exits, and works in confined spaces wearing a variety of safety equipment and wears respirator devices;
• Performs machining, fabricating and welding activities as required in a safe manner;
• Ability to operate heavy equipment including vactor truck, front end loader, back hoe, etc;
• Performs duties in accordance with city of Fort Wayne safety rules and operating regulations;
• Passes post offer screen for this position.
• Remains on call for emergencies;
• Inspects, repairs and maintains a wide variety of Filtration Plant, Water Pollution Control Plant and related systems and supporting facilities;
• Performs preventive / predictive maintenance tasks as required;
• Performs various maintenance work including carpentry, painting, glazing and masonry;
• Assists in plant de-sludging, Filter rebuilding, aeration tank cleaning, etc;
• Inspects, aligns, balances, and adjusts clearance of rotating pump assemblies and shafts;
• Inspects, maintains, and properly uses assigned hand tools, power tools, and safety equipment;
• Takes equipment out of service for maintenance/repair/PM/calibration, etc;
• Reports irregularities and abnormal conditions;
The incumbent is responsible to manage their performance in accordance with this job description and the performance expectations provided to them by management. If at any time the incumbent is unsure of their role or specific responsibilities, it is the incumbent’s responsibility to refer to their job description and ask for clarification from their supervisor. Management will work with the incumbent, as needed, to ensure performance expectations are clearly communicated and performance goals are achieved.
Incumbent does not supervise in this position.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
High School Graduate or equivalent (GED) plus 3 years hands-on mechanical experience; or Associate’s degree (A.A.) in related field from two-year college or technical school plus 2 years hands-on mechanical experience.
OTHER KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and/or ABILITIES
Ability to use Personal Computer based programs for spreadsheets and word processing, such as Microsoft Excel and Word;
Ability to read and interpret blue prints and technical drawings;
Communication skills conducive to maintaining optimum working relationship;
Specialized mechanical and diagnostic knowledge and abilities conducive to handling non-standardized operations.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. The incumbent is responsible for a variety of complex maintenance and repairs in order to provide uninterrupted water service for Fort Wayne and surrounding customer areas. The incumbent is expected to perform these tasks with technical autonomy, utilizing technical manuals and work precedents, to assist with training others in those tasks.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Commercial Driver’s License - Class B w/Tanker endorsement within a year of employment.
Confined Space Entry Certification.
CPR ,First Aid, and Bloodborne Pathogens
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and lying in prone positions. The employee is occasionally required to sit and taste or smell. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job which include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adapt focus. Deemed physically fit to wear respirator.
The work environment characteristics described here a representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to adverse conditions including extreme temperatures, wet/humid conditions, noise, dust, fumes, grease, chemicals and hazardous materials, moving mechanical parts, high, precarious places, outside weather conditions, risk of electrical shock, and vibration.
Enters, exits and works in confined spaces wearing a variety of safety apparatus. Employee is frequently exposed to wastewater, septage, and associated pathogens.