Working under general supervision of the Supervisor of McMillen Park Community Center, incumbent is responsible for the care and maintenance of buildings, grounds, restrooms, facilities in and around McMillen Park Community Center, and other areas as assigned. To perform this job successfully, an incumbent must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative samples of the knowledge, skills, and / or ability required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Maintains the general appearance of McMillen Park Community Center which include, building, facilities and grounds around the center;
• Performs all varieties of janitorial work;
• Cleans, strips and waxes floors. Dusts, washes walls and restroom fixtures as required;
• Operates floor scrubber;
• Removes snow from sidewalks;
• Picks up litter and debris from park grounds;
• Cleans public restrooms;
• Performs minor turf or ground repair;
• Maintains supplies for building cleaning;
• Reports all vandalism and items in need of repair;
• Maintains all equipment assigned in a safe operating condition;
• Directs the work of assigned employees and assists in the training of other employees;
• Works in harmony with fellow workers and maintains good relations with park patrons;
• Performs duties within the guidelines of work rules and safety policies of the City of Fort Wayne and Parks Department;
• Maintains honest and accurate work reports and records as required;
• Keeps work areas clean and orderly;
• Lifts 75 pounds and carries the weight a minimum of 50 feet, physical effort involves: repetitive bending over, heavy lifting, pushing, and pulling usually performed in a non-sitting position with high manual dexterity;
• Exerts effort for short periods of time, strain is not prolonged;
• Works in an outdoor environment year-round when requested;
• Works weekends and overtime throughout the year;
• Works independently to accomplish related work tasks;
• Reads and writes English clearly;
• Understands oral and written instructions;
• Maintains acceptable attendance record;
• Operates vehicles and other motorized maintenance equipment to accomplish the above written duties;
• Ability to drive all vehicles related to this position including a one ton truck with equipment trailer;
• Maintains a clean personal appearance and good hygiene.
Performs other duties as required;
Incumbent assists the supervisor in supervising two (2) to three (3) employees; it could be more or less depending on peak periods or non-peak periods.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
• High school diploma or G.E.D.
• One (1) year janitorial and cleaning experience;
• Operation of related floor care equipment: floor machine, high speed buffer, carpet extractor, pressure washer, and miscellaneous equipment;
• Knowledge and use of floor care products and cleaning products.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as Material Safety Data Sheets, safety rules, operation and maintenance instructions, product label instructions and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence;
Ability to add, subtracts, multiply, and divides in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ration, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs;
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but involved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations;
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Valid Indiana Driver’s License
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit or kneel; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, lift 75 pounds and carries the weight a minimum of 50 feet, repetitive bending over, heavy lifting, pushing, and pulling usually performed in a non-sitting position with high manual dexterity. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and taste or smell. Exerts effort for short periods of time, strain is not prolonged.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Incumbent is expected to carry out simple, repetitive routine assignments. Practical knowledge of the use of motorized maintenance equipment is required. Incumbent must understand the general work required in the maintenance and general appearance of assigned parks.
The working conditions are adequate with minimum seasonal exposure to dust, grass clippings, pollen, extreme temperature or severe outdoor weather conditions with minimum hazardous work conditions. Works in an outdoor environment year-round when requested. Available to work weekends and overtime throughout the year.