Working under the direction of the Shop Supervisor, incumbent assists with automotive maintenance and repair work, and lubricates cars, trucks, and other vehicles/ equipment. The incumbent is expected to exercise good judgment, independence, initiative, and professional expertise in conducting day-to-day operations. All work duties and activities must be performed in accordance with the City safety rules and operating regulations, policies and procedures as well as federal, state, and local regulations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the ability to interact with the public, City incumbents, and outside agencies with patience, tact, respect, and professionalism and the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Makes visual inspections during servicing to check for and report upon abnormal conditions in the components of motorized vehicles and equipment;
• Inspects, sets-up and otherwise prepares new vehicles and equipment to be placed in service;
• Inspects vehicles/equipment and performs preventative maintenance;
• Diagnoses and precisely performs all phases of vehicle/equipment repairs;
• Moves vehicles safely between job and work areas;
• Porters vehicles as needed;
• Performs shop or area maintenance such as general clean up; able to use shop floor cleaning equipment;
• Demonstrates a firm working knowledge of the Faster system by placing equipment in proper status codes and entering proper notes;
• Maintains tools, equipment, and work area in a clean and orderly condition;
• Ensures safe use of power and hand-held tools and equipment:
• Makes service calls requiring emergency repairs, including providing jump-starts to city-owned vehicles;
• Inspects and repairs small and large rotary mowers, pump engines, chain saws, weed trimmers, rototillers and other support equipment;
• Remove, clean, repair, reinstall, and adjust vehicle and equipment components, including, but not limited to, brakes, cab/chassis, drivetrain, electrical/batteries/alternators, emissions, engine, exhaust, hydraulics, steering, suspension, tire work, etc.;
• Cleans degreaser solution station, fuel islands, and car wash;
• Performs vehicle modification such as installing or removing special equipment, or other modifications.
• Assists other staff as needed or directed;
• Must perform any mechanical task set forth by supervision.
The incumbent is responsible to manage their performance in accordance with this job description and the performance expectations provided to them by management. If at any time the incumbent is unsure of their role or specific responsibilities, it is the incumbent’s responsibility to refer to their job description and ask for clarification from their supervisor. Management will work with the incumbent, as needed, to ensure performance expectations are clearly communicated and performance goals are achieved.
This position does not have any supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
• Any combination of work experience or academic pursuit equivalent to a High School Diploma, and six months experience in automotive mechanics;
• Basic knowledge of automotive mechanics;
• Aptitude for mechanical work and the ability to effectively operate hand tools and automotive servicing equipment;
• Ability to operate safely and properly cars and trucks.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Has current CDL B permit with airbrake endorsement, valid CDL physical, and the ability to obtain an actual CDL B license with airbrake endorsement within 80 days of hire. Upon receipt of Indiana Commercial Driver's License (CDL), Class B/ individual must be able to maintain CDL certification.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee performs moderately complex, relatively standardized tasks using necessary tools and equipment as required to perform work duties. The employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Performs assigned duties which require pushing, pulling, and reaching regularly for sustained periods and bending, twisting, climbing, and lifting up to 50 pounds on a regular basis, physical effort involves moderate lifting of tools and materials. Effort is exerted for sustained periods of time.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee the employee has moderate exposure to dust, grease and extreme temperatures and severe weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to extreme cold and extreme heat. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.