Working under direction of the Camp Supervisor, the incumbent teaches outdoor skills to children within the framework of the Franke Park Day Camp program.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Receives daily assignments;
• Welcomes campers/introduce and describes programs to campers;
• Teaches crafts/outdoor/skills/dances;
• Leads games;
• Assists with closing ceremony and flag ceremony;
• Meets with supervisor for daily evaluation;
• Attends training sessions;
• Teaches care of equipment, environmental ethics and weather observation, reporting/predicting;
• Teaches fire building skills, outdoor cooking, knife skills;
• Teaches skit performance;
• Assists with food preparation/clean-up;
• Conducts ceremonies.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Position requires routine supervision.
QUALIFICATIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
• High school education
• Certificate in First Aid and CPR;
• One year experience working with children ages 4-11 in an outdoor or camp setting;
• Counseling skills conducive to resolving volatile situations which may arise during camping excursions;
• Work consists of moderately complex, relatively standardized tasks. Must have the ability to apply routine practices, rules, regulations, procedures and techniques that are relevant to assigned tasks;
• A moderate amount of experience is required to complete tasks.
• First Aid and CPR Training.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization. Incumbent has contact with supervisors, the public, fellow workers, department head, division head and with other agencies. Incumbent communicates routine information including the giving and receiving of factual information about work.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations. Incumbent makes choices and takes actions performing a variety of relatively standardized assignments. Errors in decisions or work are not immediately apparent through supervisory review, but are revealed through adverse effects on operations. Incumbent must have the ability to understand standardized practices, procedures and general work instructions. Work requires some analysis and judgment. Supervisor reviews work in process, at critical phases and upon completion. Supervisor and employee discuss problems and solutions at the end of day.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
• Valid Indiana Driver's License if City of Fort Wayne vehicle is used.
• Certification in First Aid and CPR training
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Work requires some contact with changing conditions, some lifting of light objects occasionally. Incumbent is normally standing, walking or lifting light objects. Incumbent may require greater than normal physical abilities such as visual or hearing activity. Incumbent works inside and outside in normal weather changes; work requires walking about various types of terrain with exposure to hazardous conditions and dust.