October 22, 2018 - Fort Wayne Street Department crews are gearing up for leaf collection starting the morning of October 29. Collections will occur two times in each of the city’s more than 400 neighborhoods with the last week of collection starting on December 10.
For curbside leaf pick-up residents should rake leaves to the curb or park strip in front of their home, but not in the street. Leaves should be in the park strip by 7:00 a.m. on Monday of the week the leaves are to be collected for your area. Other yard waste should not be mixed with the leaves.
Residents can access daily collection updates at cityoffortwayne.org/leaves. There they will find a neighborhood schedule updated daily, a collection map and general leaf collection information. This daily update will begin on Friday, October 26. Residents can also call 427-2603 for daily updates.
Schedule a Pick-up with Biodegradable Bags
You can schedule a pick-up if you place your leaves in biodegradable bags. The City’s bagged leaf program allows residents to call 311 to schedule a pick-up. The bags should be placed at the curb and will be collected within two business days of the call to 311. his option gives residents the flexibility of having leaves collected at their convenience.
- Rake leaves to the park strip by 7a.m. on the first day of the week when crews will be in your area.
- Don’t put leaves in your trash or recycling cart. This is against State of Indiana law.
- Don’t burn leaves. It’s a violation of City Code and can result in a fine.
- Don’t place leaves in the street.
- Don’t place leaves in or over storm drains.
- For safety, and to assist motorists, parents should remind children to not play in leaf piles near the street.
The 2018 Fort Wayne Leaf Pick-up schedule (See attached map)
Oct. 29-Nov. 2 Central
Nov. 5-9 South
Nov. 13-16 North
Nov. 19-21 Central
Dec. 3-7 South
Dec. 10-14 North
There will be no leaf collection on November 12 for Veterans Day or November 23-24 for the Thanksgiving holiday.