April 22, 2019 - Kickstart Festival is back for 2019 and it’s bigger and better than ever.
For the sixth year, the Kickstart Planning Committee has created a month-long celebration of bikes, music, art and theatre and this year nearly 30 events are planned throughout the month of May.
Kickstart Festival 2019 is presented by Parkview Health and participating organizations include the City of Fort Wayne, Fort Wayne Parks and Recreation, Parkview Trauma Center, Fort4Fitness, Fort Wayne Trails, Arts United, Visit Fort Wayne, Fort Wayne Youtheatre, Bicycle Friendly Fort Wayne, YLNI Farmers Market, Ronald McDonald House Charities and more.
Most of the events presented through the Kickstart Festival are either free or carry a modest ticket or registration price. The events are listed and described in more detail on the Kickstart Festival website, www.kickstartfortwayne.com. Some events require registration and links can be found on the Kickstart Festival website.
Kickstart began in 2014 as a one-day event held in conjunction with the unveiling of IPFW’s “Sculptures with a Purpose” bike rack sculptures in honor of the University’s 50th anniversary. In 2015, the Kickstart Festival became a month-long celebration of the bicycle and arts, marking the end of winter and the beginning of a summer filled with exciting events and activities throughout our community. Kickstart Festival 2019 marks the sixth year for the bicycle-centric celebration.
In 2019, Kickstart Festival grows with many new events, including the Fat and Skinny Tire Festival in Warsaw, Indiana, from May 17 through May 19.
Here a few highlights of the bicycling events in and around the month of May:
- On April 28, Ronald McDonald House Charities presents the Ride RMHC bicycle touring event starting at Kreager Park.
- On April 30, the City of Fort Wayne and Fort Wayne Trails, Inc. will host a grand opening celebration for the summer-long Trek the Trails series at the Barn at Eagle Marsh.
- On May 5, Parkview Trauma Center will present a free kids’ helmet giveaway at the Parkview Safety Store.
- On May 8, Fort Wayne Community Schools will celebrate National Bike to School Day at Price Elementary.
- On May 12, Bicycle Friendly Fort Wayne will present Cyclofemme, a touring ride celebrating and supporting women and cycling, starting from Tillman Park.
- On May 18, Fort Wayne Youtheatre will present “Rapunzel” at the Arts United Center.
- On June 1, the Eighth Annual Fort4Fitness Spring Cycle tour will begin on Main Street on the Arts United campus and will include a post-race celebration with food, drink and live entertainment in downtown Fort Wayne.
- Also on June 1, Le Tour de Fort will again take to the streets of Fort Wayne for the 12th annual tour of Fort Wayne’s finest establishments beginning at the Irish Pub, all to support services for disabled veterans.
There are many more events described on the Kickstart Festival website, www.kickstartfortwayne.com.
“Kickstart has become one of the most popular and exciting events we offer,” said Mayor Tom Henry. “Cycling and other outdoor recreation opportunities are examples of our community’s commitment to providing unique quality of life amenities for our residents and visitors to enjoy. Kickstart activities are able to highlight the revitalization of our downtown, the growth of our trails system, and the renewed focus on the importance of art.”
“We’re proud to support the Kickstart Festival and all it offers for area residents,” said Mike Packnett, President and CEO of Parkview Health. “We appreciate the emphasis on bicycle-related events because it encourages residents to get outside, be active and commit to a healthy lifestyle.”
Kickstart Festival 2019 in May in Fort Wayne is an ongoing collaboration between government, medical, health and fitness, and arts organizations providing a month-long bicycle-centric celebration of our active community.