October 22, 2019 - At its annual national conference, this week, the Association of Metropolitan Water Agencies (AMWA), chose Mayor Tom Henry as the sole recipient of the 2019 Donald R. Boyd Award. The award is named for a founding member of AMWA and acknowledges extraordinary personal service in the drinking water field. The award is presented to one individual from throughout the country each year.
The organization recognized Mayor Henry’s commitment and support of water affordability and reliability, maintenance of water infrastructure, and protection of water resources, including:
- An unprecedented pledge to replace 115 miles of aging water mains in neighborhoods throughout the City, over ten years
- 45 Miles completed and another 70 scheduled for the next five years
- Protection efforts to reduce combined sewer overflows on our City’s rivers
- including zero overflows on the St. Joseph River for the past 29 months
- Maintaining lower rates that are in the bottom third in Indiana and the Midwest
- Improving reliability through back-up generators and pipe redundancy.
- Generating Energy through efficiency and resource recovery for Methane power
Fort Wayne City Utilities treats and delivers the Best Tasting Water in the State of Indiana to more than 300,000 residents in the Fort Wayne/ Allen County and northeast Indiana region.