October 1, 2020 - The Allen County Work To Include Coalition along with Greater Fort Wayne Inc., The League, Metro Human Relations Commission (METRO), the city of Fort Wayne and Allen County today announce participation in the Disability Employment Awareness Month, an annual awareness campaign that takes place each October. In Indiana, Work to Include, a statewide disability led coalition has designed a campaign specifically for Indiana to educate about disability employment issues and celebrate the many and varied contributions of Hoosiers with disabilities. This year's theme is "Everyone Wins when Everyone’s IN.”
Some of the important facts about disability employment include:
- According to US Census Bureau, American Community Survey (2014), there are 463,300 working age Hoosiers with disabilities. Of that number, less than 40% (36.9) were employed during the 2014 American Community Survey.
- Indiana ranks 26th in the country when it comes to employment outcomes for individuals with disabilities. This is well below the top five states with employment rates over 50%.
- Over 66% of adults with disabilities who are not working, want to work.
Inclusion Works. Here are the PROVEN benefits to businesses:
- Companies have 2x higher net income than peers without disability inclusion initiatives.
- Turnover is half of other employees.
- Businesses that hire are preferred by consumers.
- Positive impact on retention of existing employees.
- New look at creativity and problem solving.
- Preference in federal government contracting.
- Increased hiring pool.
- Tax and other financial incentives.
For the latest information on the campaign and for employer resources, visit our website. Work to Include is a statewide disability-led coalition created to educate about disability employment issues and celebrate the many and varied contributions of Hoosiers with disabilities.
For more information, contact: