July 14, 2021 - Recognized for quality, delivery, and taste, the award-winning City Utilities will conduct free guided tours of the historic Three Rivers Water Filtration Plant this Saturday, July 17, 2021, from 9-11 a.m.
Tours at the nearly 90-year old plant begin approximately every 30-minutes and allow visitors to see the plant in operation, interact with staff members, and enjoy the architecture of the Collegiate Gothic style building. Located at 415 Baltes Avenue, the plant opened in 1933 and, after several expansions, is now able to produce 72 million gallons of safe, great-tasting drinking water per day.
The tour involves walking on several surfaces, including gravel, and attendees should not wear open-toe shoes or flip-flops. Face masks are not required but are recommended.
Current Water Awards:
- 20 Year Director's Award for Water Distribution -The award recognizes high-quality water production and optimization of plant treatment operations. Of the more than 11,400 community-owned surface water utilities in the U.S., City Utilities was one of only 37 to receive the award. Partnership for Safe Water - American Water Works Association (AWWA) and EPA
- Director's Award for Water Distribution System Operations - presented for thorough high performance and performance improvement in the water distribution and Partnership for Safe Water - AWWA and EPA
- Taste Award -- Chosen fourth-best tasting water in the World at the Berkeley Springs International Water Tasting
- 2021 Arts United Award nominee for historic preservation - Three Rivers Water Filtration Plant
- Excellence in GIS Award. The City Utilities Geographic Information Systems (GIS) team was recognized for "One Dot at a Time. The new App/Dashboard to aid fire hydrant maintenance