- By the Numbers:
- 383 = Number of vehicles and equipment that operate on B20 Fuel
- 31 = Number of plug-in and hybrid vehicles
- 114 = Number of trucks equipped with idle-reduction technology
History of City of Fort Wayne Green Fleet:
- In 2006, the City of Fort Wayne launched a Green City Initiative to develop a comprehensive energy and air quality plan.
- The Fleet Management Department has established priorities to eventually reduce overall fleet emissions by 50% and become more environmentally friendly.
- Our fleet is nationally recognized as one of the best Green Fleets in North America.
Actions towards "Going Green":
- One hundred percent 100% of our diesel fuel vehicles run on biodiesel (B20) fuel. By expanding the use of B20, we are taking steps to a "greener" City.
- As a part of the City's "Green City Initiative" we have continued to purchase more hybrids and plug-in vehicles.
- We currently have 31 hybrids and plug-in vehicles within our fleet, ranging from sedans to SUVs. These units are being used in a variety of different City departments. A few examples are the Hybrid Ford Fusion and Hybrid Ford Escapes. They have replaced older sedans and pickups with lower gas mileage
- The Fleet Department employs 29 employees. Of the total of employees, 1 Fleet Director, 1 Shop Supervisor, 1 Office Manager, 1 Admin Admin,1 Fleet Systems Analyst, 2 Service Writers, 19 technicians, and 3 Parts Clerks.
- Our technicians are ASE Certified.
- We are committed to the continued education of our staff.
- Fleet Director oversees the department budget, provides expertise in procurement and disposal of vehicles and equipment and works closely with the Mayor and City Council on department issues.
- Shop Supervisor handles daily operations of the two maintenance facilities.