The Traffic Engineering Department is responsible for roadway operations, maintenance and program implementation. The Traffic Engineering Department strives to provide safe and efficient movement of vehicles, people and goods through the community advocated by established regulations and the elected administration, including: to produce the maximum level of traffic service with limited resources for capital improvements and operation; to develop new engineering techniques to move people and goods safely and efficiently; and to create and maintain a communication channel between the administration and the public.
About Traffic Engineering:
- Traffic Engineering works with various city departments, private contractors, construction contracts, developers and businesses on requests for closures or restrictions. Full road closures are typically avoided unless work operations or safety is compromised. The city permits work on city streets, but work on roads such as Coliseum Blvd (SR 930), Lima Road (SR 3), Clinton & Lafayette (US 27), Illinois Rd (SR 14) are permitted by the Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT).
- In 2018, there were 1,400 closure/restriction permits approved for work on city streets. Below are links showing active projects or work within the city.
Services offered by the Traffic Engineering Department:
- Accident Studies & Collision Diagrams
- Amendments to City Traffic Code
- Complaint Requests & Investigations
- Emergency Detours & Street Closures
- Pedestrian Studies
- Planning & Design of Traffic Control
- Review Building Permit Applications
- Review Proposed Residential, Commercial & Industrial Access Permits
- School Crossing & Safety Studies
- Traffic Studies & Surveys (Obtaining factual data, analysis of data, recommendations)
- City of Fort Wayne Traffic Engineering has checked recent traffic data since the recent COVID-19 pandemic has impacted travel in the city. A sample of the data collected is shown on the link below for Washington Boulevard with counts taken near Washington Boulevard and Union Street by Washington Elementary School.
- Washington Blvd Comparison Counts
Street Closings and Lane Restrictions:
Traffic Calming is a program offered by the city to help residents work with the city on potentially making changes to residential streets to help slow or change traffic patterns. Below are links outlining this program
There are various maps useful to our department and the public specific to traffic within the city limits.
Below are links to useful information such as speed limits, classifications, and ADT:
TRAFFIC ENGINEERING REGULATIONS:
Title VII of the City Code outlines general traffic regulations such as operation, parking, and definitions. Below are links which may help clarify some of these regulations within the city.
STREET LIGHT ENGINEERING
(Go to Street Light Engineering page)
- To report a street light or alley light out, please call 427-8311 or 311 OR report here on-line.
- Please provide the pole number located on the yellow verticle tag labeled Street Light, the address of the light and a contact name and number in case there is a problem with the light.
- The Traffic Operations Division is responsible for the installation and maintenance of Street Lights, Signals, Signs, Pavement Markings, and City Communication lines within the city.
- The City of Fort Wayne owns 299 traffic signals within the city limits, and additionally maintains approximately 100 traffic signals within Allen County.
MARTIN LUTHER KING (MLK) BRIDGE
- The MLK Bridge was completed in July of 2012. The MLK Bridge not only serves a purpose as a beautiful memorial to Dr. King, but it also serves as a gateway entrance into downtown Fort Wayne
- The Division of Public Works will work with local residents on establishing Memorial Parkways. Memorial Parkways will be designated with signage along the route approved by the department.
- To report traffic or pedestrian signals out at an intersection dial: 3-1-1 or (260-427-8311)
- To report existing traffic signs down dial: 3-1-1 or (260-427-8311)
- Traffic Engineering
200 East Berry Street, Suite 210
Fort Wayne, IN 46802