City Utilities owns and operates a small drinking water system near Spencerville in Allen County, Indiana that provides water to a small number of homes in the Honeysuckle subdivision.
Each year, City Utilities is required to publish an annual water quality report for the Honeysuckle Water System. The report contains water quality information from the previous calendar year.
- 2018 Honeysuckle Water System Water Quality Report
- 2017 Honeysuckle Water System Water Quality Report
- 2016 Honeysuckle Water System Water Quality Report
The water source for the Honeysuckle system is groundwater wells. Because Honeysuckle is a ground water system, there is a designated wellhead protection area that encompasses all of the land within 3,000 feet of the groundwater wells.
Property owners served by the Honeysuckle system and those in the wellhead protection area are encouraged to take steps to protect drinking water from contamination. The Indiana Department of Environmental Management and City Utilities have developed fact sheets and other material to help property owners better understand sources of groundwater contamination and protect the aquifer that provides water for the Honeysuckle system.
- Groundwater Quality Protection Guidance for Homeowners
- Groundwater Quality Protection for Non-Residential Properties
- IDEM Secondary Containment Guidance
- IDEM Fact Sheet -- Household Hazardous Waste
City Utilities has established a Local Planning Team that will conduct activities related to wellhead protection. The team includes properties served by the Honeysuckle water system and will conduct an annual outreach event. The event for 2015 was held at the Honeysuckle water plant on October 27, 2015.