Illegal dumping is the disposal of waste in an area where it is not permitted. This could be along a back property line, along a stream bank, in the woods, or in some other off-road area. Another form of illegal dumping involves putting debris or pouring anything other than stormwater runoff into a storm sewer inlet.
Illegal dumping is a concern because it pollutes our rivers and causes our rivers and streams to look trash. Are you a Water Polluter?
If you observe illegal dumping or if you see anyone pouring something into a storm drain inlet, please call the City of Fort Wayne at 311!
Frequently Asked Questions about Illegal Dumping
- Why is illegal dumping a problem?
- How can I identify illegal dumping?
- If I call to report illegal dumping, what information do i need to have?
- What is the City doing about illegal dumping?
- I see people dumping their used oil into storm drains all the time. What can I do?
- What happens if I see a neighbor, or know someone who's throwing trash into a storm drain?
- I have some paint/thinners/chemicals at home that need to be disposed of. Where can I take these?
- What is the fine/penalty for illegal dumping?
- How can I be environmentally responsible when washing my car?
- Yard clippings leaves are natural, so they don't cause any problems, right?