Fort Wayne City Utilities understands that your time is valuable we are committed to helping you make every minute count. Below is a listing of the services that City Utilities provides for your industry:
“Temporary On & Off” for Home Inspection – When you need to have water lines and plumbing inspected at a property, please contact the Water Maintenance & Service (WMS) Department dispatcher at (260) 427-2476. There is no charge for this service.
This service is available by appointment based on the availability of Service Technicians. Appointment times are: 9:00 a.m., 11:00 a.m., 1:00 p.m. or 3:00 p.m. Monday through Friday except holidays. Water will be turned on for approximately 15 minutes to allow for inspection.
When calling to schedule this service, WMS Dispatch will ask you to provide the following information to complete City Utilities’ work order request:
- Service address for the inspection appointment.
- Name of contact person who will be onsite to meet our Service Technician.
- Phone number for the contact person and an alternate phone number in case the contact person cannot be reached.
- Water related facilities on the property including number of floors, number of bathrooms, information about other plumbing fixtures such as washing machine hook-up, jet tubs, hot tubs, lap pools, etc. This information will assist us in scheduling.
Choice of appointment time.
- WMS Service Technician will meet the realtor/inspector at the property at the appointment time.
- Water will be turned on to allow the inspector to check the water lines and fixtures. Typically this can be done in approximately 15 minutes.
- The 30 Minute Courtesy Call option does not apply to this transaction because you will have a specific appointment time (9:00 a.m., 11:00 a.m., 1:00 p.m. or 3:00 p.m.).
- If the Service Technician is running late from a prior work assignment, they will call the contact person and/or the alternate phone number to provide and estimated time of arrival.
- Email Address for contact person.
- The e-mail address will be used by City Utilities to send a survey requesting feedback on your experience with our "Temporary On & Off" for Home Inspection service.
- If the WMS Dispatcher does not obtain an e-mail address during the initial telephone call, the Service Technician will ask for an e-mail address while at the scheduled inspection appointment.
We understand that circumstances change and that you may sometimes miss an appointment.
If you are unable to be at the property at the appointment time please contact Water Maintenance and Service Department dispatcher at (260) 427-2476. Should you fail to contact WMS, the WMS Service Technician will leave a general door hanger requesting that you contact WMS Front Office at (260) 427-6123 to reschedule the inspection appointment. A charge may apply for the rescheduled appointment.
- If you need to have water on for a longer period of time than has been scheduled by City Utilities for the inspection (approximately 15 minutes), please discuss your needs with the Service Technician. The Service Technician will make every effort to accommodate your request. However, this will not always be possible due to other scheduled work assignments each day. If the Service Technician cannot accommodate your request for additional time, you will be asked to contact City Utilities Customer Service at (260) 427-1234 to discuss your needs and potentially schedule another appointment.
Initiate Service – when your homebuyer moves into a new and/or existing home and wants their water turned on, they will need to contact City Utilities Customer Relations at (260) 427-1234. A deposit may be required.
Customers are given a four-hour window during which a Service Technician will arrive. Windows for service turn-on are between 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.; 12:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.; and 2:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m. The customer has the option to receive a courtesy call from the Service Technician informing the resident the Service Technician will arrive within the next 30 minutes.
Click here for a flyer you may print and give to buyers with information about initiative water and/or sewer service with City Utilities.
Second Trip – as part of the initiate service process, if a customer misses their scheduled appointment, the Service Technician will hang a card advising the customer to contact City Utilities Customer Service Department at (260) 427-1234 to schedule the second trip appointment. A $40 second trip charge will be assessed to the customer’s bill. If the customer misses the second trip appointment, the customer must pay service charges totaling $80 before a third trip will be made to turn water on.
On & Off for Repairs – for an open and active account, when a customer has plumbing problems such as a leak in their home and needs water service turned off until plumbing repairs can be completed. The customer will need to contact City Utilities Water Maintenance & Service Department Dispatch at (260) 427-2476. A $20 service charge will be assessed to the customer’s bill.
We want to know if you experience any problems with the scheduling process or with the appointment. City Utilities requests that you call 311 and ask for the following: