February 20, 2018 - To aid residents who are concerned about water rising on their property, the Street Department has placed sand and empty bags at two locations in areas prone to flooding.
Residents must bring their own shovel and fill the bags. Sand is available at the following locations:
- Ash Centre parking lot at 1701 Freeman St.
- Southwest Conservation Club at 5703 Bluffton Rd.
Today, crews from City Utilities and the Division of Public Works continue monitoring and preparing for any challenges that may arise due to this week’s rain.
Yesterday, City Utilities placed eight pumps to protect neighborhoods. Four of them ran overnight.
- Hartman Road (pumping)
- Wheaton Drive (Harris Elementary School) (pumping)
- Vesey Park (pumping)
- Hemlock and Knightsway (pumping)
- Tillman Road/Calhoun Street
- Belle Vista Boulevard/Corvalis Avenue
- Fernwood Avenue/Dalevue Drive
- Old Mill Road/W. Fairfax Avenue
As much as 1”-1.5” of rain fell over the city yesterday. Today’s forecast is calling for an additional half-inch and possible two inches tonight.
City Utilities reminds residents to check stormwater drains and keep them clear of trash, leaves and other debris. The drains need to be clear so rain can leave neighborhood streets.
Motorists should avoid driving through flooded roadways.