Parking Enforcement is a revenue-producing department that was placed under the supervision of the City Clerk in 1997. This Department is made up of the following employees: one supervisor who also handles installation and repairs, one assistant installation and repair person, and five enforcement officers.

How does Parking Enforcement serve the citizens of Fort Wayne?

First and foremost, they respond to citizens' complaints via the 311 Department. They investigate neighborhood concerns from abandoned vehicles to blocked driveways, while monitoring disability parking and fire lanes throughout the city to ensure public access and safety.

Parking Enforcement officers are assigned to cover the meters in downtown Fort Wayne between the hours of 8 AM and 5 PM, Monday through Friday. Citizens may park at the meters free of charge after 5 PM on weekdays and all day during weekends and City holidays. 

Every time there is a paving project, a tree removal or even water main work, Parking Enforcement is out posting No Parking signs at least 24 hours in advance to give the residents notice. When your favorite festival or the farmer's market is happening downtown, they ensure that the meters are bagged to create space for the vendors and performers. 

How are the revenues from fees and violations used?

All payments for parking violations are reserved in the Parking Meter Fund. This money can be used for specific purposes only, defined in City Code as follows:

   All license fees collected from parking meters as provided in this subchapter shall be deposited by the City Controller with the City Treasurer to the credit of the city in a special fund to be known as the "parking meter fund," which such special fund shall be disbursed and paid out only under the orders and direction of the Board of Public Safety for the following purposes only:
   (A)   The payment of the purchase price, rental fees and cost of installation of parking meters.
   (B)   The payment of the cost of maintenance, operation, repair and other incidental costs and expenses in the operation of parking meters and parking meter zones and spaces, including incidental costs and expenses such as clerical and bookkeeping expense in the handling and keeping of records of fees collected and expended.
   (C)   The payment of the cost of traffic signal devices used in the city, and the repair and maintenance of any of the public streets and highways in such city where parking meters are in use and upon all streets connected therewith.
   (D)   The acquisition by lease or purchase of suitable land for off-street parking purposes, the improvement and maintenance of such land and the purchase, installation and maintenance of parking meters thereon
This has benefited the citizens in many ways, including the purchase of digital meters that accept credit cards.

If you have a problem in your neighborhood that needs Parking Enforcement to investigate, please contact 311 with the details including the street and vehicle description. The Violations Bureau can answer questions about citations at (260) 427-1208 Monday through Friday, from 8 AM to 5 PM.



Boards and Commissions Appointed by City Council

Application to serve on a board or commission

Animal Control Commission—this five-member board acts as a citizen advisory group for the Fort Wayne Department of Animal Care and Control, advising the Mayor, Public Safety Director and the Animal Control Director on policy and department direction. City Council appointments two citizens who serve three-year terms.

Board of Zoning Appeals—this five-member board adopts rules and procedures concerning the filing of appeals, the giving of notice and the conduct of its hearings and operations as necessary to carry out the duties of area zoning. City Council appoints one member to the board to serve a four-year term.

Cable Fund Access Board—this five-member board administers the grant process through which agencies receive City franchise fee revenues, allowing citizen input to ensure effective use of such revenues. City Council makes one citizen appointment to serve a one-year term.

County Economic Development Commission—this four-member Allen County board’s primary duty is the consideration of applications for industrial revenue bonds. City Council appoints one citizen who serves a four-year term.

Fort Wayne Economic Development Commission—this five-member board reviews applications for industrial revenue bonds and makes recommendations to the City Council on bond issuance. Commission also makes recommendation to Common Council on Economic Development Target areas. City Council appoints one member to serve a four-year term.

Fort Wayne Public Transportation Corporation-PTC/Citilink—this is a seven-member public transportation board that is responsible for executive, fiscal and legislative policy of the Public Transportation Corporation. City Council appoints three members to serve four-year terms. All members must reside within the PTC taxing district. Political balance is required by Indiana law.

Fort Wayne Redevelopment Commission—this five-member commission addresses blight, cessation of growth and lack of development within the City of Fort Wayne by promoting public/private partnerships in redevelopment areas, serving as a catalyst to assist and assure that redevelopment occurs. Appointees must be 18 years of age. City Council makes two appointments for terms of one-year.

Internal Audit Committee—the six-member board works with the City’s Internal Audit Department to evaluate and report on the City’s financial conditions and records, accuracy, and compliance with applicable laws. City Council has two appointments to the board, one of which must be a non-governmental CPA, licensed by the Indiana State Board of Accountancy. Terms are for one year.

Legacy Joint Funding Committee—this nine-member review committee is responsible for evaluating potential proposals requesting Legacy funding for projects. Committee members will provide recommendations to the Mayor and City Council. City Council appoints one citizen to serve for a one-year term.

Metropolitan Human Relations Commission—the seven-member Commission administers anti-discrimination legislation and ordinances with the City of Fort Wayne as authorized by the Indiana Civil Rights Act. City Council appoints three citizens to serve three-year terms. Members must reside within the city limits.Political balance is required.

Public Art Commission - this thirteen-member commission will govern the City's Public Art Program, and, as requested, advise other entities on public art projects. Meetings are held at least quarterly, and members must live within Fort Wayne. Commission will also oversee Public Art Fund. Term is for 4-years. More information can be found here.

Safe Housing & Building Oversight Committee—this nine-member board serves as an advisory group to assist the director of Neighborhood Code Enforcement (NCE) department in making recommendations, as needed, for NCE ordinance changes that require City Council approval. Board members are also responsible for setting NCE administrative fees. City Council appoints three citizens to serve three-year terms.

Urban Enterprise Association (UEA)—this board is the governing body for the Fort Wayne Enterprise Zone program, having the responsibility of overseeing projects within the Zone’s boundaries, and operates the FW Enterprise Center which assists small business owners and entrepreneurs in the Zone. City Council makes three appointments to the UEA to serve fouryear terms. Appointees must be a resident, a business owner or employee within the Zone’s boundaries.


Deferral of Prosecution Program Speeding Infractions

The Deferral Program is administered by the Violations Bureau, under the oversight of the City Clerk



  • This option is only available for tickets issued by FWPD citing FW Local Ordinance #71-25 

  • Tickets issued under a State Statute do not qualify

  • No prior speeding tickets in State of Indiana within one year from current ticket date 

  • Cannot be currently enrolled in this program, however you may be enrolled in State program at same time

  • A violation that is 30 + MPH over the posted speed limit will require a Judge's review and approval

  • An individual will remain in the program for a period of ONE YEAR, during which time he/she cannot receive any additional moving violations or arrests

  • Must address violation in some manner by date at bottom of ticket. See “Other”

  • Defendants under 18 years old are not eligible for this deferral program.


Absentee Defendant:

  • If the defendant is a student outside of FW, parent or guardian can enroll

  • Form cannot be mailed. Signature needs to be witnessed

  • Attorneys can obtain form for client



  •  One time basis only (unless approved by Court)


  • First apply at City Clerk's Office  (Violations Bureau)  200 E. Berry St., Suite 110


  • Must submit paperwork and pay fee at Misdemeanor/Traffic Court at the


  • Bud Meeks Criminal Justice Center @ 101 E. Superior St. Form


Fee and Payment:

  •  The total cost for the program is a user fee cost of $143.00 for the applicable speed violation plus $81.50 Court costs.
  • Cash, money order, cashier's check, credit card, and in person.

  • Cannot mail, make check payable to Clerk of Allen County

  • Paying user fee, plus court costs, not paying ticket fine

  • Partial payments are not accepted 


- Fines printed on the back of the moving violation ticket include court costs

- If you have appealed the ticket with bench trial and lost, you forfeit the ability to enroll in the Deferral Program

- Once the violation has been sent to the BMV (it has not been paid and has exceeded its deadline/grace period), you can no longer apply for the Deferral Program and must pay the citation in full



Street Right-of-Way, Alley Right-of-Way and Easement Vacation Requests


  • Applicants must provide their name, address and telephone number
  • The petition must be typed or legibly printed on the required form
  • Any copies of information submitted must be clear and readable
  • A legal description of the area to be vacated must be complete and correct
  • A survey by a licensed surveyor may be required
  • If a utility is located in the area to be vacated, the petitioner(s) will be required to provide for utility relocation and/or replacement easements as needed     

Vacation Petition forms can be printed by clicking the link below or can be obtained at the City Clerk's Office (200 E Berry St, Suite 110, Fort Wayne IN 46802)

 pdfVacation Petition


Corresponding fees must be paid when the request is submitted. These can be made in person at the Violations Bureau desk.

  •  Platted easement or alley right-of-way: $200.00
  •  Street right-of-way: $300.00


Petitioner completes the Vacation Petition form and provides payment

The Planning Department reviews and provides comment

The petition is submitted to appropriate utility groups for review and comment

They will return:

  •  No objections
  •  Relocations and/or easement for existing facilities will be required

The Planning Department reviews the petition and all comments returned, then reviews against criteria established by state law

If the petition meets all criteria and any objections or relocations are addressed, City Council will hold a Public Hearing and subsequent vote on the request