HELP US NAME THE TUNNEL BORING MACHINE
Photo shows the front cutter-head portion of the 400-foot TBM
This summer, a Tunnel Boring Machine (TBM) will arrive in Fort Wayne to dig a five-mile-long sewer tunnel in efforts to clean up our rivers. With a 20-foot diameter and a 400-foot length, the TBM will grind its way through bedrock to dig the tunnel. Now, we need your help to name this massive and vital worker!
Mining historians say that as far back as the 1500s, miners prayed to Saint Barbara for protection while working in the dark underground. As a result, most TBM’s are given a woman’s name. However, this trend is changing, and some TBM’s have received male or gender-neutral names.
Over the last month, we’ve worked with local schools, neighborhood supporters, and staff members from City Utilities to come up with name ideas. Here are the finalists:
We are so excited to announce our upcoming Summer Day Camps: Pet Explorers and Junior Pet Explorers!
Register is now closed for 2018 summer day camps.
- There are two camps available depending on your child's age
- Camps will run Monday - Friday 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
- We will not have extended care available for the 2018 camp season
- Registration is $120
- Campers will recieve a fun Pet Explorers or Junior Pet Explorers t-shirt!
- The camp will take place at our shelter located at 3020 Hillegas Rd.
- We are unable to accommodate children with severe allergies to animals as they are involved in many of activities
- There is a $20 cancellation fee per registrant
- Registration is on a first come, first serve basis!
- One of the highlights of the camp will be Animal Time! We have several different opportunities built into the day for campers to interact with and learn about our adoptable pets. We will also have guest speakers with interesting animals too! We will always consider the needs of our animals - and for that reason we cannot spend more than 2 hours a day interacting with animals. Most of our time will be spent learning how to be a responsible pet guardian, making treats for the shelter pets, exploring animal related careers, learning how to be safe around animals, playing animal games, creating animal crafts and learning how to be a advocate for animals in our community!
We are looking for teens who love kids and animals to help out with our Pet Explorers Summer Camps!
Teen Buddies will play an important role in helping camp counselors and they will be the campers' best friend for the week of camp! Teen Buddies WILL NOT directly handle animals. During the application process teens can choose which week(s) they'd like to help with. Following the application process, there will be an interview and required orientation for all Teen Buddies in the program. The application window closes May 18.
Registration to be a Teen Buddy is now closed.
Pet Explorers Day Camp Forms (These forms can also be found on registration page)
Last updated: July 1, 2017
The City of Fort Wayne ("us", "we", or "our") operates http://www.cityoffortwayne.org and mobile applications (the "Site"). This page informs you of our policies regarding the collection, use and disclosure of Personal Information we receive from users of the Site.
We use your Personal Information only for providing and improving the Site. By using the Site, you agree to the collection and use of information in accordance with this policy.
Information Collection And Use
While using our Site, we may ask you to provide us with certain personally identifiable information that can be used to contact or identify you. Personally identifiable information may include, but is not limited to your name ("Personal Information").
Like many site operators, we collect information that your browser sends whenever you visit our Site ("Log Data").
This Log Data may include information such as your computer's Internet Protocol ("IP") address, browser type, browser version, the pages of our Site that you visit, the time and date of your visit, the time spent on those pages and other statistics.
In addition, we may use third party services such as Google Analytics that collect, monitor and analyze this …
We may use your Personal Information to contact you with newsletters, marketing or promotional materials and other information that you specifically request.
Cookies are files with small amount of data, which may include an anonymous unique identifier. Cookies are sent to your browser from a web site and stored on your computer's hard drive.
Like many sites, we use "cookies" to collect information. You can instruct your browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent. However, if you do not accept cookies, you may not be able to use some portions of our Site.
The security of your Personal Information is important to us, but remember that no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. While we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your Personal Information, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.