Right of Way Permits



Permits issued through the Right-of-Way Department


  • The 2 Permits Below are not accessible through the online permitting process.
  • Oversize /Overweight Permits  -   Permit Department needs a minimum of 72 Hours to review OS/OW Permits
    • Note:   Oversized/Overweight Permits will be required for the following conditions
      • Width of truck/trailer  greater than 10'-6"
      • Height of truck/trailer greater than 13'-6"
      • Length of truck/trailer greater than 85'-0"
      • Weight limits of loads greater than 40 Tons should also be reviewed if routes pass over city bridges

  • Pole Line Permit
    • Note:   Pole Line Permits will be required for the following conditions
      • New utility poles - including private or small cell tower within public right of way
  • If there are questions or concerns with Permit Applications, please contact the Right of Way Office at 260-427-6155, or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


 Excavation Permits:

One type of permit issued by the Right-Of-Way Department is called a Right-Of-Way Cut permit. This permit allows for the excavation of rights-of-way —streets, alleys, sidewalks and parkstrips — for infrastructure installation or for maintenance of existing infrastructure, both public and private. This permit process is used to avoid potential facility location conflicts, to insure that proper restoration of the cut is completed, and to protect the public from undue hazards arising as a result of excavations.

Upon issuance of a permit, an inspector will visit the site where the excavation is occurring in order to insure that City engineering and safety standards and specifications are being followed by the applicant during the course of the work. After the work is completed and the rights of way restored to an original condition or better, the inspector will re-visit the site to determine the acceptability of the cut restoration.

In 1998, the State of Indiana changed the law pertaining to utility use of the public rights of way and made it clear that cities could recover the direct costs inherent in managing this public resource. As a result, we have re-examined our costs and procedures that pertain to utility occupation of our rights of way in order to insure that our costs of running this department are fully recovered through permit fees, as authorized by Indiana Code.

More specific information on Cut Permits can be found on the Chapter 99 page.

Permit Costs:

Excavation (non-roadway) $80

Excavation (roadway) $175


   Driveway Access Permits:

  • An access permit is required to construct, remodel, alter or relocate an entrance approach or driveway to any public street or roadway. These permits are important due to the fact that any street must address the conflicting functions of providing land access and efficient traffic movement. Excessive roadside development and uncontrolled driveway connections preclude the orderly and safe movement of traffic and result in poor levels of service, increased hazards and premature obsolescence of the roadway.

Application for an access permit is made to the Right of Way Department. After collecting the necessary information asked on the application along with a plan detailing the geometrics and construction specifications, the permit is routed through the City Engineering and Planning Departments. These departments review the permit based on their areas of expertise, providing feedback, comments and requirements necessary for approval. Once the routing process has been completed, the applicant is contacted and informed of the status of the application.

After a permit is approved, a Right of Way Inspector performs a pre-pour inspection, to ensure adequate form, grade and specifications, according to the approved plan and permit.

NOTE: Per Access Standards Manual, only one Residential Driveway is permitted per lot along a street frontage. Corner Lots or Lots with 100' of Frontage or more may be considered for dual "horseshoe" driveways.  Dual entrance driveways must be connected.

For more specific application information, click here.


Permit Costs:

Residential $50

Commercial $250 new, $125 Reconstruct

Commercial w/ taper lanes $500


pdfTemporary Access Permit Application

     Parking Lot Permits:

A Parking Lot Permit is required in order to construct, expand or substantially alter a parking lot, to insure compliance with the City of Fort Wayne Zoning Ordinance. The application is completed and submitted to the Right of Way Department along with a plan detailing the request.

 The Plan must address construction materials and specifications, drainage information and screening/landscaping information. After collecting the necessary information, the application is routed through the City Engineering and Planning Departments. These departments review the permit based on their areas of expertise, providing feedback, comments and requirements necessary for approval. Once the routing process has been completed, the applicant is contacted and informed of the status of the application.


 Permit Costs:

 <100,000 Sqft $100

 >100,000 Sqft $200

 Sidewalk Permits:

In order to construct or reconstruct a public sidewalk, a Sidewalk Permit is required, obtainable from the Right of Way Department. These permits insure that sidewalks are placed at the proper grade and line and that new construction adheres to accessibility requirements.

Routing of the application typically is not necessary so approvals can usually be obtained fairly quickly.

The permit fee to reconstruct existing sidewalk is $15.00. The permit fee is $30.00 for the installation of new sidewalk where none previously existed.


Construction Standard Details



  Barricade Permits:

These permits are used to insure that proper notice is sent to the public and that proper and safe signing occurs whenever an obstruction is present within the traveled way. The primary focus is on public safety. Permit pricing depends on the classification of the streets being blocked and the length of time obstruction will be present. These permits are also reviewed by the Traffic Engineering Department and the Police Department.

Permits may also be obtained through the Right of Way office for the renting of parking meters.

See the Chapter 99 page for more information.


Please call office for permit fee structure.

Fees for closures, or lane restrictions vary per road classification.

 Block Party & Parade Permits

These permits are used to insure that special events occurring in the City of Fort Wayne – including block parties and parades – do not cause major obstructions for the public.

Permits for both block parties & parades must be completed at a minimum of 10 working days in advance prior to the event.

Please note that certain events which require significant impacts to sidewalks or roadways should be discussed with the ROW Department up to 3 months in advance of the event.

Coordination with FWPD may be required, and the applicant may be responsible for providing additional barricades at their own cost depending on the impact, timeframe and roadways involved. 

Special considerations and coordination may be necessary on roads that are used for public transportation.

Block parties will not be allowed on major corridors within the City. Please contact the office if you need clarification or assistance with planning the event.

pdfParade/Block Party Permit Application Form

Permit Fees:

Block Party / Neighborhood Association Parade $15.00 Application must also include signatures from residents affected.

Public Assemblies (over 25 people) and Parades or Walk/Run Events $50.00

** If Meters are required for event, Applicant must provide meter numbers. **