Any dogs at home will be required to meet any of our adoption dogs so please bring your owned dog or dogs with you at the time of meeting an adoption pet (cat and small animal interactions are NOT required).
ADOPTION CENTER HOURS:
1st & 3rd Saturday…11:00-3:00 pm
Our Adoption Center works on a first-come, first-served basis. We do not place pets on hold.
Deciding to adopt a pet is an exciting time for many families. We would like to make this process as simple as possible.
Here are a few things to keep in mind before you come in to find your new family member.
- You may have one unaltered pet, all other pets must be spayed or neutered
- You must be 18 years or older to adopt
- We ask that you discuss adopting with all adults in the home
We ask that you bring the following with you when you come to adopt.
- Family members under the age of five
- If you are seeking to adopt a dog and have a dog at home, bring your dog in for an interaction
- If planning to adopt a dog please bring a leash and collar. Adoption dogs will not be permitted to leave in a choker or prong collar.
- If planning to adopt a cat please bring a carrier. There are cardboard carriers available for purchase here if you prefer.
- Completed Adoption Profile (optional)
When you arrive you are able to walk through the adoption center and view our available pets. You can fill out the adoption profile ahead of time and bring it with you or you can fill it out at the shelter. All profiles must be submitted 15 minutes prior to closing. Next, an adoption counselor will assist you in meeting the animal.
Should you decide this is the right pet for you, we will send the pet home the same day.
DOG ADOPTION FEES
$125 Puppies under 6 months old
$100 Small Dogs (Under 25 pounds) 6 months - 8 years
$100 Large Dogs (25+ pounds) 6 months - 5 years
$50 Senior Small Dogs (Under 25 pounds) 9+ years old
$25 Senior Large Dogs (25+ pounds) 6+ years old
OTHER PET ADOPTION FEES
Pick Your Price Cats and Kittens
$25 Guinea Pig
$75 Exotic Large Bird
$15 Small Bird
WHAT'S INCLUDED IN YOUR ADOPTION FEE
The adoption of your pet includes the following ($300 Value):
- First distemper combination vaccine
- Heartworm test (dogs only)
- First month of flea preventative during flea season
- A starter bag of food
- Donated exam from participating veterinarians
- Spay/Neuter surgery (Dogs and cats)
Please note the adoption fee does not include the pet registration for those residing within city limits.Click HERE to learn more about pet registrations.
ADDITIONAL ITEMS AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
$5 Flat Collars
$10 Martingale Collars
A WORD ABOUT THE HEALTH OF ADOPTION PETS
The City of Fort Wayne Animal Care & Control Department cannot guarantee that the pets available for adoption have not been exposed to an illness prior to coming to our department or prior to vaccinations taking effect. Although we are not aware of any serious health condition applicable to any pet, local veterinary clinics donate a free heath examination and can explain conditions common to stray animals, owner neglected animals, and animals housed in a kennel. These conditions may include internal parasites, external parasites, and upper respiratory infections.
Animal Care and Control cannot reimburse medical expenses. An applicant that chooses to keep and provide treatment for a pet does so at their own expense. We suggest you consult with your veterinarian before introducing your new pet to the pets you now own.