wildlife new 1

Fort Wayne Animal Care & Control Officers can assist with SICK AND INJURED WILDLIFE. Please read through the following to learn more about when to contact the shelter regarding wildlife. 


260-427-1244 option 1


Fort Wayne Animal Care & Control responds to calls about wildlife when a wild animal is in a person's living space, injured or sick. Encountering wildlife in Fort Wayne is common and in many cases there is not much we can do as an agency. Here are some tips to know when to make the call:

  • Observe the animals:  If you can’t immediately tell the animal is sick or injured we ask that you observe the animal for 24 hours. There’s no need to panic right away. If it does not move from the area it’s in give us a call and an Animal Control Officer will come check on it.
  • If a wild animal is simply in your yard – that does not warrant an officer being dispatched.
  • If the animal is in your home give us a call.
  • If the animal is in an out building – open doors and windows and let it leave on its own. If some time has passed trying this method and the animal does not leave – call us.


It's important to remember that you should NEVER handle wild animals. Wild animals can carry dangerous diseases like rabies. In Indiana the wild animals at the highest risk of carrying rabies are skunks, foxes, raccoons, coyotes and bats. Rabies is a viral disease that infects the brain and spinal cord. The disease can be spread through bites and when the saliva of an infected animal enters an open wound or the eyes. Even baby animals can be infected, so while they might be cute, injured or need assistance NEVER HANDLE THEM. 


Calls about injured birds are not uncommon, especially in the spring. Birds on the ground that appear to be struggling to fly are most likely a fledgling bird. These are baby birds that have fallen down from their nests and are commonly confused with injured or sick animals. These birds are actually learning to fly and don’t have the wing strength to fly back to their nests. This is a natural part of their development. These birds will be jumping around flapping their wings for an extended period of time. There’s no need to panic – chances are it’s a baby bird growing up right before your eyes!

If you see a bird struggling to fly – observe it for 24 hours before calling FWACC.



You found a rabbit’s nest in your yard. What should you do?

First, there’s no need to panic. Rabbit’s often build their nests out in plain view and it’s not uncommon to come across one. If you do, simply cover the nest back up and the mother will return. DO NOT take the baby rabbits out of the nest. If your dog or cat found the nest you can cover it with a basket or box that allows the mother to get in, but not your pets.

Mother rabbits only feed their young five minutes a day. They tend to them early in the morning and in the evening. If you find a nest but the mother isn’t around, don’t worry she will be back.

To learn more about baby rabbits click here.



It's not uncommon for bats to find themselves in living spaces during the fall and spring months. If you find a bat in your home you should contact FWACC immediately. NEVER touch a bat with bare hands. Officers can assist you with removing a bat from your home. If your pets may have come into contact with the bat be sure to notify the shelter as well. 


FWACC does not remove deceased wild animals from private property. 


Adoption Lobby Hours:

12:00 - 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, Thursday, Friday
12:00 - 6:00 p.m. Wednesday
9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. First Saturday of each month

Closed Mondays FOR ADOPTIONS
To submit a pet adoption profile, you must do so 15-minutes before closing to allow sufficient time for processing.

Adoptions number:


Business Office Hours (lost & found pets, citations, or other law enforcement concerns):

11:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. Mon-Fri
CLOSED Saturday & Sunday

Animal Control Officer Assistance
9am-8pm Monday - Friday
After 8pm, weekend & holidays,
call 260-449-3000

After Hours / Immediate Officer Assistance:
1:00 a.m. - 6:00 a.m. Emergencies

General Contact Information:
Fort Wayne Animal Care & Control
3020 Hillegas Road
Fort Wayne IN 46808
After 8 p.m. and on weekends and holidays, call 449-3000 for assistance.
Fax: 260-427-5514

It is our mission to serve our community in a humane, public safety capacity while working to keep pets with loving families by providing education opportunities and resources or facilitating re-homing or adoption when necessary.

WebsiteBadge Color

BCFP Better City for Pets Sealorphan kitten club

BPF Logo