Animal Care Teens (ACT) is a program put together by our Humane Education team that allows teens ages 13 to 17 to help the shelter pets, earn volunteer hours, and learn about Fort Wayne Animal Care & Control. This is a great opportunity for teens to be involved in the shelter until they are old enough to volunteer at age 18.
- ACT is held one Saturday a month at the shelter 3020 Hillegas Rd from 10 a.m. - Noon
- Registration is a $20 donation per session that goes towards funding our donation based Humane Education programs.
- Beginning in September 2022, ACT will focus on providing volunteer opportunities to teens looking to earn volunteer hours. Teens will help with anything from folding laundry, putting away dishes, cleaning small animal cages, making no sew cat blankets and much more!
- Each session will include a tour of the adoption center and meeting adoptable animals!
- Sometimes we do offer special months where teens can learn from a professional in an animal related career. Our most popular special month is our veterinary experience where teens get to watch a real spay and neuter surgery on kittens performed by our veterinarian. We will post about when these experiences will be offered.
From 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
September 10, 2022
October 8, 2022
November 12, 2022
December 10, 2022
January 14, 2023
February 11, 2023
March 13, 2023
April 8, 2023
May 13, 2023
It is important that your child is able to fully participate in each activity. We will not have alternative activities planned for each session. Since we are an animal shelter, each teen should be prepared to possibly be in loud areas of the building with smells that could be unpleasant to some and seeing animals in undesirable conditions.
We do not allow parents to stay during the session due to a lack of space and staffing. The only time we allow adults to stay is if the child needs assistance to perform the activities from a parent or therapist.
Due to an increase in the number of no-shows per session, teens who do not show up to TWO sessions without notifying education staff will not be able to register for ACT programs for three months. We have a very long waitlist for each session and want to make sure that we're reaching teens who are interested in attending.
A full refund will be issued to anyone who notifies staff at least 48 hours in advance of each program. Cancellations within 48 hours of the program will not be refunded.
The Animal Care Teens inclement weather policy is as follows:
If the Mayor declares a snow emergency on a scheduled ACT meeting, the Animal Care Teens will also be cancelled.
or call (260) 427-2590